You know you’re committed when you don’t turn back when the spiritual backlash comes with fiendish ferocity while you’re taking spiritual ground.
Some years ago, I was teaching at a Christian school. During one of the daily staff devotional times, I heard the Enemy menacingly say in my ear five times,
“I will silence you.”
What followed in the next year was the most ugly betrayal and fiercest personal and spiritual attack I have experienced in my Christian walk of 30+ years. Several times I was tempted to give in and be silent.
Being a part of taking spiritual ground is a sure way to experience fierce spiritual attack to the point that you will be tempted to be silent. A common way spiritual attack will come is through personal attacks from people who know and love us, often who are dear Christian brothers and sisters.
If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it;
if a foe were rising against me, I could hide.
But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship at the house of God, as we walked about among the worshipers. – Psalm 55:12-14 (NIV)
As He was taking spiritual ground, Jesus experienced the fierce spiritual attack. Judas, one of His beloved disciples, who had co-labored by His side day in, day out for three years betrayed him (Luke 22:1-5, 47-53). People who He had taught, healed, and loved turned back and no longer followed Him (John 6:60-70).
So how do you continue on when you’re experiencing the inevitable spiritual attack that comes with taking spiritual ground?
- Surround yourself with truth
- Receive support from your foxhole friends
- Battle with praise
- Focus your gaze on what is unseen (2 Cor 4:16-18)
- Pray Scripture
- Let the Healer bandage your battle wounds
- Fix your eyes on what God has called you to (Does Your Calling Consume You?)
- Remember those who have battled before you (Heb 12:1-3)
- Fight from victory not for victory – The Invisible War, Chip Ingram
- Give grace when others don’t understand or minimize what you’re going through
Read More: Finishing (Adventures in Faith series)