Is your treasure immaterial?
That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!
So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever. – 2 Cor. 4:16-18 NLT
The things we can’t see will last forever . . .
- that relationship you’ve been building with a young believer
- the friendship you’ve been investing in with your neighbor who is seeking Jesus
- those prayers you’ve been praying for your community
- that time you’ve given in serving the least of these (Mt 25:40)
- the money you’ve invested in furthering the Gospel
- those steps of obedience you’ve taken that you have yet to see any visible fruit from
- that step of faith you boldly take when the crowd around you asks you “Why? and “What are you thinking?!”
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Mt 6:19-21 ESV