The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He will. – Proverbs 21:1 ESV
Sometimes in the midst of the storms of life, it’s easy to lose sight of the powerful truth of this verse.
Most of us don’t live under the authority of a king, but we get the connection. The most powerful people in the world — God directs their hearts like a stream of water in His hand.
That job you didn’t get — God directs employers’ hearts like a stream of water in His hand.
The school you didn’t get into — God directs the hearts of administrative heads of schools like a stream of water in His hand.
That promotion, partnership, and the like — God directs the hearts of those over us like a stream of water in His hand.
Take heart and remember those who have gone before us. . .
- Joseph’s attitude of unconditional forgiveness after he was ruthlessly betrayed by his own family.
But Joseph said to them, “Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. – Genesis 50:19-20
- Mary’s attitude of joyful acceptance of a God-given reality that ostracized her and Joseph from their family and friends (being an unmarried pregnant woman in a culture where the consequence for such an offense was being stoned to death)
And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” – Luke 1:38
- David’s attitude of courageous trust when faced with impossible odds in defeating Goliath.
And David said, “The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” – 1 Samuel 17:37
Find courage and remember His promises:
- He will work it for His glory and your good – Romans 8:28-29
- What He speaks, He brings to pass. What He purposes, He does – Isaiah 46:9-11
- No matter how dire your situation seems, He will save you victoriously and valiantly – Deuteronomy 33:26-27
- Keep trusting; He will save you – Isaiah 25:1,9
- Remember that what is impossible with man is possible with God – Matthew 19:26