Life is a series of stepping-stones. Father usually reveals one step at a time. He doesn’t give us a map; rather He guides us with His voice. He tells us what “Step 3” will be after we obey and do “Step 2.”
- Step 1 – “The LORD had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you.” – Gen 12:1
- Step 2 – Wait for a child even though your wife hasn’t been able to have kids – Gen 15:1-6 (this wait lasted 25 years)
- Step 3 – Sacrifice your son – Gen 22 (God was testing Abraham)
Abraham had his moments of disobedience and trying to make things happen his own way along the way, but overall he obeyed and took each step of faith Father laid before him. And he is listed in the hall of faith (Heb 11:8-12, 17-19).
- Step 1 – “You’re going to be the mother of Jesus.” – Luke 1:26-38
- Step 2 – Believe that Joseph will still marry you even though you’re already pregnant – Mt 1:19-25
- Step 3 – Raise your son and then watch him die for the sins of the world
What stepping-stones has Father laid before you?
Have you taken those steps?
Are you frozen on the current step?
Have you diverged and made your own stepping stone path that seems safer, more reasonable, and more logical?
Today’s a new day, to start or to keep on stepping . . .
1. Keep stepping straight ahead:
- My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside. – Job 23:11
2. Obey His leading:
- If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm – Ps 37:23
3. Listen to His voice:
- In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. – Prov 16:9
4. Trust the path He has laid out for you:
- A man’s steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way? – Prov 20:24
5. Embrace the honor and privilege of walking in His steps:
- To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. – 1 Pet 2:21
Photo on Flickr by Rich Jacques
When Father Speaks Series
- When Father Speaks